Thursday, November 8, 2007

Oh goodness!

(Me with my beautiful roommates on Halloween--That's me the cat-Meow!!)

It's been a long time since I blogged! I knew it had been, but I was trying to get the energy to write something really good. Well, I'm sick again. I think working at the preschool has exposed me to all sorts of new bugs. Hopefully I'll build up a gigantic immunity and I won't get sick at all this winter!!! (Wishful thinking!)


I can't believe it's only 8:30 pm. This whole daylight savings time really throws me off. Since the change, it gets to be 6pm and I think it's bedtime because it's dark outside. I remember similarly on my mission going home at 4pm in the winter time for dinner and it would be getting dark then. Imagine how much I wanted to go back out and work in the cold and dark! Nevertheless, I did. I've taken little naps every afternoon this week too, because I just get exhausting running after kids all day. At the beginning, my feet hurt because I was used to being lethargic all day. Now I'm used to standing up and so they don't hurt any more. I also burn more calories standing up, hooray ;-) Something else that's nice is that I get 2 healthy meals a day: breakfast and lunch, and I don't have to buy it myself. That's a definite benefit of working at a daycare/preschool. Granted, the school lunches aren't anything to write home about, but if it gets me through the day and I'm not spending extra money to go out for lunch, I'm a-ok!! I don't know if this is true in all states, but in Georgia the pre-K is funded by the state. Well, funded by the lottery, anyway. So, it's free for all kids. I could really see it being beneficial as long as you can get and keep good teachers. My roommate's class (where I spend most of my time there), is very smart, and very lucky to have such a good teacher. Most of them are 4 years old and they are recognizing and writing the letters. About half of the 20 kids can write their names legibly at this point of the school year. I know that I went into Kindergarten being able to read, but I know that wasn't the case with most of the kids I went to school with. In my Kindergarten class there were only 2 kids who could read, myself and another boy. He actually read better than I, which I remember made me mad. I was academically competetive, even back then.


I did take my big test on Saturday the 3rd. I got very ill the day before. I was throwing up and everything--it was awful. But I received a priesthood blessing and while I went to that test the next day with a headache and a tender stomach, I never felt nauseous and I was able to succesfully complete the test. The scores will be reported at the end of November. I believe I passed, but I'm not going to say for sure because you just never know, do you? I remember feeling very nervous about my answers to the 2 short essay questions. Well, if it's the Lord's will, then I passed, didn't I? Two days later, on Monday, I received a call from Gwinnett county saying that I had been approved to be on the substitute list and that I could attend a sub workshop on the 30th of November. Timewise it's far away, but I have a guaranteed job until Thanksgiving, and then I should be able to substitute teach in the public schools starting in December. I went to a job fair last Saturday and was able to leave my resume with 4 or 5 different middle schools. When I spoke with their representatives, their advice was pretty much always the same: "Get into long-term substituting". I know that substitute teaching will open doors for me. While it's difficult financially, I have faith in the Lord and I'm continuing to pay my tithing. I'm not the type of person that enjoys a really drawn-out means to an end, but the Lord recently has been teaching me this sort of patience. Spending at least 4 months in an effort to become a teacher (most of it just waiting for the next step) is not on my list of the most efficient paths ever. But, I know that the experiences I am having now are helping me to prepare and that they are necessary. In the Lord's own time shall all blessings be realized ...


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeremy and I liked your costume. We think it fits since you love kitty cats oh so much. Glad to see you've been busy and life's been looking up for you. Love you!

Austin Stevenson Owens said...

:D Aren't you glad for your nephew's costume advice? You need to blog about the tire......