Saturday, June 4, 2011

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary, How Does Your Garden Grow?

I had BIIIIG plans for my garden this year, which fizzled out quickly when I couldn't decide whether to build raised beds, or just till up a section of my backyard.  And then there was the question of where to put the garden?  My backyard=lots of rotating shade.  While I was figuring out what to do, I did manage to achieve a few of my other gardening goals.  For example, in April, I planted annuals in my front yard, and next to my mailbox.  I also managed to get a couple of hanging planters for the front porch and with the leftover flowers, I did a few scattered planters around my front porch/deck.  I would love to show it off, but I'm just not comfortable posting a picture of the front of my house online.  I can't think of a reason someone would want to stalk me, but, I'm not even going to give them the option.  I will, however, show you what I did in my back yard.  I planted some herbs which I put in containers on the back deck, and I did a home-made upside down tomato planter which hangs on a shepherd hook.  I also have a dead strawberry plant.  Apparently my green thumb-tip does not extend to growing strawberries ... pity.  Or maybe it's just that hanging a strawberry plant will for sure kill it ... hmmmm ...

 My herb garden.  The basil is going absolutely crazy! I wish the cilantro would ... I use that more than anything.  I also have parsley, sage, dill, tarragon, chives, rosemary and green onions.  I think my thyme died. Did you know that if you plant the bulbs of your green onions that they will continue to grow green tops?  I don't know how long they will keep generating the green; maybe they give out eventually.  I guess I will find out soon enough.


My upside-down tomato, and my dead strawberry plant.  I say it's dead, but there are actually live green shoots underneath the dead, brown leaves.  Maybe it will resurrect ...

2 comments:

Austin Stevenson Owens said...

It's looking so good1! It's so hard to do a garden of ANY kind without sun, ha ha. As well we know! We have finally found the sweet spot and have some tomatoes that are jsust about ready to eat--I can't WAIT.

Unknown said...

Looks great. Good for you. I wish I would/could have done a garden this year. With moving in the middle of planting season, I knew it wasn't going to happen. I considered getting a topsy turvey and doing tomatoes at least, but it (obviously) didn't happen. Oh well, maybe next year.