Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Trip to Chattanooga

Very last minute I decided we ought to go somewhere and do something for our anniversary. I had visions of sitting a home being bored all weekend (the usual for us), and I just thought we ought to do something memorable. So, Friday morning I booked us a hotel in Chattanooga (only 2 1/2 hours away), and we drove up there after I got off work. The hotel we stayed at was really nice. It was a 3-star hotel that we only stayed in because I got an incredibly good deal on Priceline. The next morning I dragged my husband out of bed and we went to Ruby Falls: a pricy attraction that features an underground waterfall. It was pretty cool though--we enjoyed ourselves. We drove around for a bit after that, ending up at Point Park on the top of Lookout Mountain, the site of the Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park. We wandered around there for a while, watched a red ant drag a dead black ant up a 90 degree rock face, walked up and down some stairs and got tired out. After the park we headed back into town for some Sticky Fingers BBQ, which I thought was pretty good. Ben thought it was ok. After a late lunch we headed back to Atlanta, stopping at some outlet stores and buying Ben some much needed new pairs of jeans. We took a small detour through downtown Atlanta, stopping at my favorite ice cream place, Zesto, which is the only place I've found decent soft-serve here. We NEVER get to go there except when we are downtown and only if we get there before it closes. So--it had been a while. By the time we got back, it was nearly 9pm and we were exhausted! But, we had a great time and I'm so glad that we decided to go somewhere for our anniversary. We definitely made some memories what we'll have forever!

Our lovely 3-star hotel room plus a bonus husband!

Us inside the cave at Ruby Falls

The beautiful Ruby Falls

Poor dead black ant. I wonder what the red ant is going to do with him?

Ooooohhh this makes me want more Zesto's soft-serve!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks like a fun way to spend an anniversary. I'm glad you guys went out and did something fun. We always make it a point to go somewhere and get away from our lives. We love to explore our area.

BTW, there is a HUGE Russian community here. In fact, we even have a small spot downtown called the Kiev Market. You should come visit me....