Friday, April 3, 2009

Songs and chefs

I have kids songs playing in my head. Working at a pre-school (daycare), I hear music all of the time. We have a big CD player that holds about a billion CDs and it plays on the audio system throughout the building ALL DAY LONG. Of course, the classrooms can turn their speakers off, but in the lobby, we leave it running. So, if I'm humming a song, you can pretty much be guaranteed that it's a kids song. I don't even know the name of the one that's stuck in my head right now, nor can I really remember the words, but by golly, I remember that tune and I'm singing it over and over and over and over ... I do have a few favorites among the ones that I hear all the time, especially "Waltzing Matilda". That song makes no sense--that's probably why I like it. If someone can explain to me what Waltzing Matilda is all about, I'd greatly appreciate it. I finally looked up what a "billabong" is--it means "small lake". So there you go.

I get home from work every day at about 7, which makes cooking dinner really difficult. Although I love to cook, at 7pm the last thing I want to do is cook dinner! I just want to stuff something in my face because I'm typically starving by that point! On Wednesday night Ben had Young Men's and so I was cooking dinner while he was there, and waiting for him to get home. I was getting so frustrated because he should have been home by that point and I was really hungry and you just don't mess with a hungry woman! So I texted him and asked him if he was coming home soon, and the answer I got back was "Y". Getting more frustrated I texted him back to tell him that I was really really really hungry! About a minute later he walks in the door with a bunch of lilies that he had stopped and bought for me. So of COURSE I couldn't be frustrated at him anymore. Last night I called and told him that he was in charge of cooking dinner. He enjoys cooking, but he's not done a lot of it in his life. He survived college by eating fast food. Typically he is my "sous chef", so I didn't know what to expect when I got home last night, but he had found a recipe for "Shepherd's Pie" in one of our cookbooks and was busily engaged in making it! I helped with a few finishing touches, and it was just delicious! He doesn't realize what he's gotten himself into. He's definitely going to be cooking a lot more now ...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Uh oh. That's what happens when you show you have a talent...you can't hide it anymore!! LOL. I can't wait to get Jeremy back in the kitchen too..he makes the best Mexican food!

Blog Archive